I’ve eaten a lot of salads in my time. I’ve eaten salads at chain restaurants, fine dining establishments and, of course, home. The best salad I’ve ever had–bar none–is my mom’s. The secret is her dressing. Here’s how she makes her’s:
She fills her salad bowl with whatever veggies and fruits from look good that day. Shortly before she is about to serve the salad, it’s topped with the following ingredients:
- A generous dash of any oil that strikes your fancy
- A nearly-as-generous dash any vinegar that strikes your fancy (seriously, just grab what’s handy–you can’t mess this up)
- A generous sprinkling of salt and pepper
- A couple of pinches of sugar
- A couple of pinches of your favorite dried and/or fresh herbs (try oregano, Mrs. Dash, tarragon, basil, parsley, whatever floats your boat–Did I mention you can’t mess this up?)
- A HEARTY sprinkling of granulated garlic (I mean, like A. LOT. Go nuts.)
- A squeeze of lemon (I imagine orange or lime could be good too). OPTIONAL.
Toss everything together well. Welcome to Salad Heaven.
So where does soggy salad come in? Well, here’s the thing: I find these salads so yummers I will actually eat them after they’ve sat overnight in the fridge. Yes, all soggy and such. They’re that good. So ereebodee be healthy and make a Soggy Salad tonight!