Get ready for a wild ride, I have an odd mish-mash of things to talk about today, although probably no odder than usual, now that I think of it.
Last night, I made my idea of what a Thai fish chowder would be. It was probably one of the best Thai-inspired dishes I’ve ever made. Seriously. It was seasoned to perfection, it was salty, sweet, sour… It was like being punched in the face with flavor. It was like Flavor came up to you and said “Hey how ya doin’? OMG, look over there–it’s Justin Bieber!”, then–BOOM!–sucker-punched you RIGHT IN THE FACE. Working without a net, I kinda just took bits and pieces from Thai recipes I’ve made in the past and came up with this beaut of a soup.
- First I fried 2 heaping tablespoons of green curry paste in the skimmed fat from the top of a can of coconut milk
- Then I dumped in 4 cups of chicken stock, plus the remainder of the coconut milk
- I then put in my veggies of choice (Which included sugar snap peas, julienned yellow bell pepper and chunks of scallion. I would say put whatever the fuck kind of veggies you want in your soup. It’s YOUR soup.)
- I added 2 tablespoons of sugar, plus a pinch of salt and pepper
- I let this simmer for around 10-15 minutes to let the flavors say hello to each other give each other handshakes or reacharounds or whatever
- Then I put in big chunks of Tilapia (any mild white fish would work here, I think) and let them cook through for 4-5 minutes
- I finished up the soup by stirring in around a 1/4 cup of lime juice, 2 tablespoons of Nam Pla, and a big honkin’ heap of fresh basil ribbons (I think cilantro would also work great here.)
I served it over vermicelli rice noodles.
I would advise you to stop whatever it is you’re doing right now, run to the store to get these ingredients, and MAKE THIS SOUP.
Tonight I will be making tenderloin steaks, and golden beets & beet greens sauteed in bacon fat. I think I will make a red wine-balsamic/shallot reduction to throw over everything. :O!!!!
I found Wick-It on Soundcloud! If you are a fan of rap/hip-hop/electronica/dance/mash-ups, this guy’s stuff is must-listen. It’s just amazing.
What are your favorite phat-booty-beat songs?
Commercials for Firewater UPDATE:
Macho Fratboy Inanity For the Lose:
Hot Pirate breaks shit to “Ball and a Biscuit” FTW: